Where Did It Begin?
The River has sustained human life for centuries and attracted the settlements that founded the City of Los Angeles. Dating back to the 18th Century, about 200 Native American Tongvas lived in the village of Yaangna, the largest of some 100 villages that were home to about 5,000 Native Americans in the Los Angeles region, when the Spaniards arrived in 1769. Eventually, the Tongvas were relocated to the east side of the River. In the mid-1800s, Yaangna was destroyed. European settlers named the River “Rio de Porciuncula” (the small portion river), and its water sustained the growing pueblo until the William Mulholland era.
In the late 1890’s, the property was a grocery and milling company owned by J. Hartley Taylor with a store located on San Fernando Road. Southern Pacific Railroad (later Union Pacific) established a stop at Taylor Milling Company and eventually purchased the 244-acre site for railroad maintenance operations.
G2 was one portion or “parcel” of the entire Taylor Yard property, and the last 42 acres that Union Pacific sold off.
The City of Los Angeles purchased the property on March 1, 2017 for approximately $60 million.
Thanks to a generous grant from the California State Coastal Conservancy, the City has embarked on the planning and design for interim uses of the site--something that will activate the property and offer safe public access and ecological opportunities in the immediate future as well as the ultimate long-term design.